RE: shoulder harness failure

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sat Jun 13 1998 - 02:11:45 EDT

I'll put the question back, why do you try and make this 'rosy, rosy'
and asume that Chrysler only produced "one bad Dakota"? Even if we all
"hope for the best" and there are "good" Dakotas to go along with the
"bad" Dakota we've already seen in the crash test, it matters not as
there is no way to sort "good from bad". If Chrysler comes out and says
"we looked at the crashed vehicle and yes we found some bad welds and
we've checked the line and it was just a "Monday" truck and we'll recall
everything for a look see and fix whats necessary" then that would be
something, but they never will because of concerns over liability.
Having a truck that is unreliable (breaks down, etc.) is one thing, and
having one that might cause me to die in a crash is another thing
entirely.

My point is that while it might be "scientifically interesting" to crash
a bunch of trucks, and if you were really "scientifically inclined"
maybe crash a whole bunch, and try to get the percentage that failed to
average out to a low number under some statistical circumstances
(something like "we observed 0% failure, with plus or minus 5%
certainty, 19 times out of 20"), but the fact remains that the truck
that was crash tested failed miserably, and that could have been my
truck. In the days of mechanized assembly (and considering that the line
has been running for quite some time now) the odds on getting bad welds
(or any other assembly problem) causing those kinds of intrusions would
be pretty odd. More likely the crush design of the truck is "less than
optimal". Good thing there are all those small cars out there for us Dak
drivers to slam into, otherwise we'd be in pretty bad shape...

Craig