Re: RE: What can MPI do?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 23:33:56 EDT

At 06:33 PM 6/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/5/98 11:54:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
>stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
><< One question: From reading your message above, it sounds to me as if you
> were stock, and then you added the shorties and the MSD, and your E/T
>dropped. >>
>
>Yes you are correct. I added the shortys and the MSD at the same time. The
>reason I say the MSD added in my et drop is cause I dont believe that the
>shortys did all that drop. It would be a real pain to reconnect the stock
>ignition because I had to cut off a harness plug, and splice into the wiring.
>If I dont get the jump I am looking for with the MP computer, then I will try
>to run it on the stock ignition and see what happens. Will keep you posted as
>to what happens.

  Sounds good! It would be interesting to find out for sure. I think
you posted before that you like it because it smoothed out the engine's
performance during daily driving... If you test it and it is indeed
slowing you down, you could hook up a switch to choose which ignition
is running. That would make it easy to use the stock ignition at the
track and the MSD on the street. (Bill did this with his Dak since he
has to use the MSD for the nitrous.)

  I don't remember which magazine it is, but one of 'em has a 12 second
Dakota they call "blue thunder"; they said that a Jacobs ignition made
it quicker, but we have three confirmed slow downs due to aftermarket
ignitions (MSD and Jacobs) on the DML. Maybe there's some other variables
at work. Heck, who knows? Maybe the "blue thunder" dak had a defective
system? Anything's possible I suppose...

                                       -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.29@88.58), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |