FPIK option....Throw away FABM

From: GSWillhite@ualr.edu
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 17:26:11 EDT

Hello everyone.This is long so I'll get right to it. Sense the DML is talking about
what type of FABMS or RAM AIR to use and the benefits of COLD AIR which many FABM
installers ignore.Now is a good time to tell you about an FPIK I have made. This is
an option for those who want more performance than an FABM and an added benefit for
those with the modified throttle bodies. There is also very little noise with this
setup. I've tried to be as objective as possible in comparing the FPIK with the FABM.
I do not have a GTECH so all of my tests have been with the butt dyno. This is a
common type FPIK which you will see in the magazines, but in the year I've been
monitoring this list I've not seen or heard of it being installed. So keep an open
mind and know I'm serious as hell. Here goes:

I went to a local performance shop and bought a conical shaped K&N filter with a 3"
inlet. I then removed my stock airbox (are you listening Jim) and temp. installed
my 10" fabm to get me to a local muffler shop. I took along my stock airhat. There
I reinstalled the airhat and had them bend a section of 3" alum.steel pipe. They
also welded a 5/16 stud on the inside of the pipe. Of course the objective was to
align the pipe opening with the airhat opening while the other end aligined to an
semi-open space between the computer and the A/C line (97-98 Daks). I took the pipe
home and cleaned it up with steel wool and soap. I installed it using a 10" bracket
from the hardware store. You also need to beef up the old airbox bracket attached
to the computer mount. Using the stock accordian boot I joined the airhat to the
pipe and slipped the K&N on the other end. DAMN, outta space.More details avail.gs