Re: another offset question

From: Hoopgj@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 08:00:28 EDT

In a message dated 6/9/98 12:15:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
miggitymike@juno.com writes:

<< How would effecting the offset of a wheel change the way it fits the
 truck? What would happen if I increased or decreased the offset? I'm just
 curious. Thanks ya'll!!!! =) >>
By changing the offset of the wheel, you are basiclly moving them in or out on
the hub. There is negitive off set and positive offset. If you can picture
your wheel, the part that bolts to the hub would be concidered zero.
Positive offset looks like a deep dish mag. Negitive offset extends the rim
into the wheelwell.
Problems you can have. With too much offset,(neg or pos) you can end up
rubbing the tire into the vehicle. If the wheel is too wide, when you turn the
wheel, the tires will get torn up on the inner fenders. Also too much
positive offset can be hell on the front suspension componants. Depending on
where you live you may have seen some of the cars we call "overgrown go-carts"
on the street. The guys that take a honda (or whatever) ,lower it, and put on
the rims and tires that hang way outside of the fenders. (looks really bad.)
In most cases of rim and tire change, you want to get as much of the tire on
the inside of the axle or spindle, while still having full suspension travel
as possible.
George