Re: questions and observations on new R/T

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 15:08:03 EDT

Alan,
Start at the manifold to cat pipes. They are grossly undersized. I noticed
the same things on my 98 R/T CC. The 3 " post cat system should be fine for
anything below 6 grand. The head pipes should be 2"dia minimum. They look
to be about 1-3/4 nominal with restrictions at the bends down to 1-1/4.
reminds me of my old 2bbl 65 barracuda. Pipes need to be mandrel bent, and
blended before the cat. blend length needs to be calculated but should be
at a 7-8deg angle. I dont think any low end will be lost here, but large
high end gains should be found! Mopar had head pipe dia problems in the
early 60s, fixed it in the early seventies, didnt care in the 80s and needs
to be re-educated for the 90s. Maybe it was Mopar's compromise for those
crazed people buying the R/T to actually use it as a truck for hauling? who
knows. actually, a set of headers would require new head pipes as well.
Possibly the head pipes are "throw aways" for R/T owners since most of us
will use headers, whenever they become available? Are they available??
Anyone know? The 98 Mope perf catalogue has them for 97 Daks with 318s and
98 rams with 360s.. Not apparent if either will fit.
BKB