Engine pinging... the saga continues!

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Wed Jun 10 1998 - 18:56:20 EDT

Well, I was finally able to take my '98 Dakota 5.2L 4X4 back to the =
dealership to fix the pinging problem. I waited for about 10 minutes, =
and the service writer came in and said that my truck was done. I then =
asked him if I could see the TSB that they corrected. He then took me =
over to the computer and called up the TSB. It was for the "knocking" =
problem caused by the idle purge valve, not spark knock (pinging). I =
told him that wasn't my complaint, although I could hear the knock noise =
a times in the cab. So I had him look up any other TSB's about engine =
pinging (spark knock). First of all, he was looking at the 3.9L, not =
the 5.2L. When I pointed this out, he found TSB #18-34-97 which says =
that Dakota's built before 11/20/97 need to have the engine management =
software upgraded to the latest release. My Dakota was built in August =
of '97, so I had them apply this change. However, on the way home, the =
engine still pinged! ARRRRGH! =20

This TSB might be helpful to some of you who have the pinging problem if =
it applies to you. I have decided to check all of my spark plug gaps, =
and install a 180 degree thermostat. Do you guys think this will help =
my problem? What is the proper part # for the thermostat? Does it go =
in the fitting on the upper radiator hose? Thanks for you advice.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota 4X4 CC 5.2L
Flame Red, 3200 miles