RE: FABM install questions -Reply

From: Mike Muise (Mike.Muise@digital.com)
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 17:29:48 EDT

W. Jack Hilton III [SMTP:hemi@mindspring.com] wrote:
> I guess I could just bend the bolt that comes off the original unit , but
> bet it's too short after the bend , eh ?

Well, the original is a bracket with two bolts, a short one pointing down, a
longer one pointing up. The two are offset by a 7/8" flat metal piece.
Trouble is, the "long" bolt is too short for the larger airbox, and there's
no obvious way to replace it with a longer one (keeping the original short
bolt and flat metal piece).

As for fabricating the S-bolt yourself, don't worry about it. Once you
remove the original air hat, it'll be immediately obvious what the S-bolt
has to look like for it to fit. I used about 12" of threaded rod for mine,
then mounted the new air cleaner and cut off the excess with a hacksaw
(don't use bolt cutters, they'll pinch the top of the rod and make nut
removal impossible).

So: get a threaded rod, 12" in length, two pairs of vise grips, and a
hacksaw. Put two bends in the rod, about 30deg. each, so the the two ends
of the rod are 7/8" apart, centre-to-centre. Here's an amazingly crude
ASCII rendition:

 7/8" | \

 You don't have to be very exact at all; like I said, you'll see what I mean
(and how easy it is) when you remove the stock hat and look at what's there.

cheers,
mike