Re: RE: Body and Suspension Lift

From: woodgate (woodgate@sprynet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 14 1998 - 23:30:00 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Felix <Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Sunday, June 14, 1998 10:19 AM
Subject: DML: RE: Body and Suspension Lift

>You can get the cab mounts at a dealer. If I recall, they will run you
about
>$60 for all six. I don't recall the id on the lower radiator hose. You
>probably have to take a ride to the hardware store with the hose in hand.
Let
>me know what size and I'll update my page for future inquires.
>
>As far as the trailmaster kit on older 4x4s, I had come across that web
page
>in the past. They say it won't fit, I think because trailmaster doesn't
list
>an 87-90 application, not because they checked it out. Like I said on my
>page, every part that the kit replaces is the same part number from 87-92.
An
>87 and a 92 have the same front suspension with the only difference being
the
>lower control arm and the sway bar. 91 and 92s are slightly thicker in
>diameter to handle the additional weight of an optional V8. They also use
>different hub and wheel bearing (5 lug vs. 6) but both are pressed into the
>same steering knuckle. I can't find a reason why that kit wouldn't bolt
into
>an 87-90 Dakota 4x4.
>
>However, my plans have changed. I'm going to eliminate the IFS all
together
>and swap out the front end with a DANA 44. When the time comes, I'll have
all
>the info on the web page.
>
>Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
>88' Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4.
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219

Walter,

   On your site you mentioned that your dakota has negative offset 10" wide
wheels. The 10" part is likely the source of some of your clearance
trouble. A 10.50 tire is a good deal wider when mounted to a 10" wheel. I
plan on using 8" wheels when the 31x10.50 BFG AT's go on my Dakota. With a
body lift, cut out flares and 8" std offset wheels I am told I will have
absolutely no rub. With a 10" wheel they would with or without the offset. A
tire tech recomends the 8" over the 10" for the 10.50 tires. 10"-7" is the
range with 10" being the max rim and 7" being the minumum. In general most
of the time you are better off with a tire that is mounted to a wheel with a
width near the middle of its range. I have seen one Dakota with a solid axle
swap in a 4x4 mag don't know which one or when.