Re: Downshifts while coasting...

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 11:46:06 EDT

Brian,
My 98 R/T has done a strange, similar thing. Driving in traffic (and the
5/805 merge in S.D. has a lot of it) I turned the overdrive off. When I
turned it back on after the traffic "cleared" (it never really clears) the
transmission downshifted every time I gave it a little throttle (just a
little). This got really annoying and I was about to "see my dealer". I
parked it at home. Next time I got in it it was fine and hasnt done it
since. Ive locked out the overdrive on many occasions since and it never
repeated its premature downshifts. Hmmmm Anyone else with this problem in
a 98??
Bruce K Bridges

At 11:02 PM 6/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone had this problem....
>'98 V8 4x4 4 speed auto...While in cruise control at 70 mph I push "coast"
to slow a little bit. What does the truck do...? It downshifts. I take it
out of cruise control and whenever I let off a bit, it downshifts! Just
happened that once, I can't seem to duplicate it now. The air filter was a
little dirty, since I was 4-wheelin in the desert that day. The only thing I
can think of is that the pressure drop thru the filter was such that the
vacuum modulator interpreted the low pressure as a throttle increase and
downshifted accordingly. I changed to a K&N the next day and it hasn't
happened since. Was kinda wonderin' if anybody has had a similar experience....?