Re: Downshifts while coasting...

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Jun 16 1998 - 13:13:29 EDT

At 10:46 AM 6/15/98 , you wrote:
>Brian,
>My 98 R/T has done a strange, similar thing. Driving in traffic (and the
>5/805 merge in S.D. has a lot of it) I turned the overdrive off. When I
>turned it back on after the traffic "cleared" (it never really clears) the
>transmission downshifted every time I gave it a little throttle (just a
>little). This got really annoying and I was about to "see my dealer". I
>parked it at home. Next time I got in it it was fine and hasnt done it
>since. Ive locked out the overdrive on many occasions since and it never
>repeated its premature downshifts. Hmmmm Anyone else with this problem in
>a 98??
>Bruce K Bridges

I've never had this particular problem, but in the year that I've had my
Dak, I've had the truck do a number of funny things. Once I smelled gas
while driving down the road. Once while sitting at a red light the truck
sputtered and died like it ran out of gas, but started right back up.
Another time I heard a funny squeaking from under the hood that was
constant and didn't change with engine rpm. Turned the engine off, the
squeaking stopped, started it up again and haven't heard it since. The
point is that if it's something that just happens once and doesn't repeat,
I wouldn't worry about it. Just chalk it up to break in or the quirks of
Dodges or whatever.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed