Re: Western Chassis installation

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 15:56:10 EDT

Stephan Boianoff wrote:

> >Someone mentioned they were about to install a Western Chasis
> >lowering kit. Sorry, didn't catch the person's name, but how did it go? I
> >*FINALLY* rec'd my front a-arms to go along with the rest of the kit so I
> >can get on with installing it. Would like to hear about any gotchas before
> >I get started.
>
> That was Gary Ludwick. The last I heard from him (I am very interested
> as well) he had a hell of a time getting the rivets out of the rear
> shackles/hangers (something to the tune of 45 minutes apiece). He was
> going to look into having someone else do the work I believe. There is an
> article on the installation of the front pieces in the current issue of Truckin'
> (August '98). Check it out...it's not the easiest mod to do.
>
> Steve
>
> BTW, what are your impressions of the quality of the pieces?

Steve,

The welds and finish on the parts seem perfectly acceptable and I won't
worry about potential failures. The new a-arms were to come with new
ball joints, but Western says they couldn't acquire any either from CC
or from aftermarket sources so we're expected to re-use the old ones.
I'd like to look into this one further myself as it would be easier to
simply mount new ones before the install.

I did read the Truckin' article over the weekend. Will probably pass and
let someone else tackle the job. Had planned on doing it myself, but
looks like the hoist really helps in this case. Too bad they make us
wait for the details of the rear :( I've gotten some quick quotes of 6
hrs for the job from a local shop, which seems excessive. Then again, if
you say Gary had a tough time, maybe that's not all that bad. I think I
can barter with a mechanic buddy of mine and end up with a good deal to
get it done right.

Looking at the front end, I may have to wait until I get a wheel/tire
combo purchased. I've got the alloys that look similar to the R/T wheels
and I don't think the front offset will handle a 3.5" drop without
hitting the fenders.

Bob