RE: Lowering kit

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Tue Jun 16 1998 - 06:32:01 EDT

Gary,

I thought the Western kit was suposed to come with ball joints, but yours did
not since they were out. Do they plan on offering the ball joints in the
future? Please tell your technique for removing the rivets.

I assume you are going for a 2" drop in the front. This is just what I
was looking for. Did you take before and after measurements? If so, what
was the actual drop? Please tell us how your truck looks with the drop. Post
some pictures too. Did you install new shocks?

Drive Safe,

Joe

>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:26:17 -0400
>From: Gary Ludwick <gludwick@csi.com>
>Subject: DML: Lowering kit
>
>Bob - I'm the one working on the lowering kit.
>I will tell you it's A BITCH! Have already put in nearly 4 days on it and
>not done yet.
>The big problem is that Dodge riveted everything. You'll have 24 rivets to
>cut, grind down and punch out. The ones holding the ball joints into the
>old A arms are the worst. Couldn't drive 'em out, couldn't get 'em out with
>a press. Finally had to have them drilled out by someone with a drill
>press. And I have a compressor and a full set of air tools!
>If you don't have air tools, I would strongly suggest you pay someone to
>install the kit. You'll never get those rivets out without a cut-off tool,
>a die grinder and an air hammer. You'll also need an air impact wrench to
>get the nuts onto the bolts they supply, as they are self locking.
>Just to make matters worse, Sports Truck sent springs with my kit, which I
>dutifully installed. When I dropped the truck off the jack stands, my front
>end now has a 5 inch front drop! Turns out the springs were sent by
>mistake....none needed for a 2 inch drop. So now, I get to take it all back
>apart and reinstall the factory springs. (Looks wicked though....just can't
>turn the wheels full lock). They also neglected to send the replacement
>bracket for the parking brake cable. Be sure your bag of parts has one...if
>not call 'em.
>If you DO have air tools, I'll be glad to share my technique for getting the
>frame rivets out....finally figured out the way to do it easiest.
>GOOD LUCK!!
>Gary
>
>The Internet - Living proof that 10,000 monkeys in a room with 10,000
>typewriters will NOT
>eventually duplicate the works of Shakespeare!

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA
(joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)