FABM : 14" x 3" install on '98 R/T

From: W . Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jun 16 1998 - 18:42:17 EDT

Okey Dokey -

I ordered the Summit brand 14x3" air cleaner along with the 1/2" spacer
(part #s SUM-239431 and EDL-8093 respectively) and tried em out a minute
ago on my '98 CC R/T .

Did it work ?

Well , kinda .

Although I was able to get the 14" assembly on the TB (barely) I had a
couple of problems .

1) The bottom cover of the cleaner compresses the upper radiator hose very
slightly . I don't think that it "kinks" the hose or otherwise impares its
operation , but it kinda made me wonder .

2) The bottom cover fit fine , except for the radiator hose , but the
filter itself and the top cover were coming in direct contact with the
weatherstripping along the firewall that contacts the hood to seal it .
There was also a bolt sticking out from the firewall that was contacting
the filter as well . I WAS able to get the thing on there , but not without
having to force the lid down because of the close proximity of the firewall .

3) I had already made an S-Bolt according to the design scetch on Sean's
page , but obviously it was meant for the 10" model cuz it was too short ,
probably by an inch or so . This is a minor problem needing only a longer
bolt .

4) I tried this originally with a 3/4" spacer and found that my hood would
not close . Way too tall . I then tried the 1/2" spacer and it is still
VERY close . I also tried it with NO spacer . This may work , but the upper
radiator hose is compressed even more than before and that makes me worry
about wearing a hole in the hose too .

Basically , I CAN get it to work , BUT I am concerned about the contact
between the assembly and the firewall . I fear that thru normal driving ,
as well as racing , the torquing of the motor will either wear the
weatherstripping that it's touching , or wear a hole in the filter , or
both .

I may just send all of it back and use the $53.40 total that I spent on
this (minus the s-bolt stuff) to go ahead and get me an Airaid .

Thanks for any input !

W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@mindspring.com