Re: Damn free enterprise ! Used to be: Dakota R/T vs. GMC Syclone

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Tue Jun 16 1998 - 21:37:56 EDT

W . Jack Hilton III wrote:

> You priced a '98 R/T lately ?
>
> On Motor Trend Television , they say the sticker for the Regular Cab R/T is
> just over $19K .
>
> My Club Cab R/T had a sticker of over $24K .
>
> Every one of the R/Ts I've seen have been optioned to the hilt . Mine has
> everything including the coffee maker and the vibrating cigar lighter
> (don't ask) , but I wish I could have first of all FOUND an R/T regular cab
> ( I had a two dealers try to find one on the locator and found ONE in the
> Southeast in Tennessee....needless to say , the dealer there was quite
> unwilling to part with it) and second of all , since I did have to get the
> CC , I wish I didn't have to get everything under the sun with it . Since
> you can't order them , only 1700 CCs and 300 RCs are being made which means
> that there are at least 400 Dodge dealers that won't get one at all , you
> kinda have to take what you can get . In addition to this , every dealer in
> the Southeast (with the exception of where I got mine , thank you God!) is
> either taking sealed bids on the R/Ts or they are demanding AT LEAST $2-3K
> OVER MSRP .

FWIW, the first two R/T's I saw were regular cab. An amethyst and a
black one. The black one had a cat back dual Flowmaster exhaust
installed by the dealer. Didn't see me first CC R/T until just today
when I dropped by the dealer to pick up a MP catalog.

My problem was I actually put stock in what the morons roaming the car
lot told me about availability. First they claimed the R/T's would never
hit the lots and would be ordered only. Then, they claimed they wouldn't
arrive until June. Then, after I found the black one sitting in the back
lot of the dealer and had drooled over it for 20 minutes or so, I walked
over to the fleet manager's office. He looked me straight in the eye and
said they didn't have any, weren't expecting to get any and would I be
interested in something else. "Yeah, ya bonehead. How about a salesman
with half an ounce of credibility!"

But before even seeing the CC R/T, I was quoted something like $24,200.
No extra dealer markup, but not a dime off of MSRP either.

Bob