Electric Fans

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Thu Jun 18 1998 - 00:54:35 EDT

> You are correct. When the fan is running, it does draw a lot of amps. A
> lot of my experience is from the Impala SS world. The electric fans do
> NOT run all the time. You CAN wire them up to run between rounds and
> cool the engine down when not racing. I hope to come up with a
> factory-looking (and therefore not too difficult
> to install) electric fan setup on our R/T. I KNOW there is some HP to be
> found there. This is not a flame, just an observation. I will post if I
> find anything worthy.
>
> Gene Beaird
> 98 Dak R/T CC Flame Red
> 95 DGGM Impala SS
> 89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
> 83 Impala 5.0

I would like to find an electric fan for my dak also. However I am concirned
with the loss of airflow (CFM) on the electric fans. My dak has the HD cooling
and the stock fan measures 20" in diameter and has 8 blades. When the clutch
locks up and runs the fan at max rpm it draws a lot of air ( and makes a lot of
noise) I fear the electric fans I have seen can not keep up with the demands of
Texas heat ( several 100+ days already this year) and the A/C. I don't see
anyway to use dual fans becaust the radiator is nearly square. The GM cars with
dual fans have a low and wide radiator so 2 fans fit well on them. From my
experience in 26 years in a radiator/A/C shop I can tell you that if 1 of the
fans doesnt run you will likely distroy the A/C compressor or blow the hoses off
of it. On the other hand, my wifes 96 Cougar with the 4.6 ltr V8 has a single
19" electric fan with wide blades and it has no problems with the A/C or engine
over heating. The aftermarket fans I've seen have no where as much CFM of air
flow as that FOMOCO fan does. I expect the 305 hp Mustang Cobra has a electric
fan also, though I've never seen under the hood of one.
Jim Miller
Waco, Tx