Can't Decide (R/T or 5.2 5-sp.)

From: wimmerr@gunet.georgetown.edu
Date: Thu Jun 18 1998 - 08:32:47 EDT

.

I have now test driven both a 5.2 5-sp. (3.55) and R/T CC. Here are my observations and
dilemma.
Motor: Both engines had less then 50 miles on them and ran out of power before 5000 rpm.
       No noticable differance in accelaration, torque or smoothness.

Trans: The 5-sp. had a decent shift linkage and clutch (for a truck) and low gear noise.
       The auto had softer then expected shifts, erratic shift points at WOT and a
       tendency to lock and unlock the torque converter with slight throttle inputs while
       cruising. This might be annoying on long trips.

Exhaust: 5-sp. quiet and unobtrusive.
         R/T, great sound at idle and while accelarating with no drone while cruising.

Suspension: 5-sp. with handling group - good for a truck, but needs more roll control.
            R/T excellent. No harshness or excessive noise from the tires. Good grip,
            dampining, and roll control. Would not change a thing.

Overall, I liked the look and feel of the R/T over the 5-sp.. But its mediocre trans.
and cost preimum, 20% plus, makes the buying decision difficult. If I decide on a 5-sp.,
I may end up having to wait for the 99s, since there are so few 5.2 5-sp. available.
Decisions,decisions, decesions.

Additional obsevations:
R/T sits about 1-1.5 inches lower in the front and 1.5-2 inches in the back than a Dak
with the handling package.

R/T's front swaybar same or slightly larger than a regular Dak. Rear signifacantly larger.

R/T's front suspension lowered via shorter springs. I noted about half the clarance
between the bumpstop and a-arm on the R/T vs. the Dak. Also the bumpstops appear to
be made out of different materials.

The R/T must have different rear springs, since no lowereing blocks were used between the
spring purch and 12-bolt rear axle.

Engine rpm at 60mph about 2000rpm.

There you have it.

Perspective R/T or 5.2 5-sp. buyer,