Re: hood sensor ????

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 18 1998 - 14:05:03 EDT

.
In a message dated 6/18/98 12:54:29 PM Central Daylight Time, mmeye@umr.edu
writes:

<< Today while going over the engine (degreaser / rag / elbow grease) I
 noticed that i had a rusted end of a worn trough wire coming from the
 headlight area sticking out by the battery tray. I found the matching worn
 trough end and it went to some little depression switches where the fender
 meets the grill that signal when the hoods down.

 What do these switches control???
 What are they called???
 I'd like to fix it just to be fixed but how much???

 One of the switches on the passenger side doesn't pop back anymore so maybe
 I'll play with it too.

 Sorry for all the questions but I don't have my Chitons here.

 Thanks, mm

Are you sure your're not looking at the headlight adjusters.

Electrical wire (copper/Aluminum) doesn't rust. Corrode maybe, but not rust.

The headlights are adjusted by little cables that go from their screw blocks
on the bulkhead, down to the adjusting screws at the headlights. You turn the
screw at the block on the bulkhead, and the cable turns the adjusting screw.
There should be a pair for each headlight. They are clipped to the bulkhead
about 4 inches inside of the hood line.

I've heard of these things rusting off. This applies only to the 'Aero' style
lights (i believe both styles were available in 92).

There are no factory switches that are hood actuated on any Dakota. Even the
under hood lamp is a gravity activated mercury switch.

Richard Lewis
92, LE CC, 318, Auto