Re: '98 Auto Transmission "Clunk"

From: Mike P Sykes (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jun 21 1998 - 23:21:31 EDT

snip
>>> I thought I might ask all you '97 & '98 auto.
> trans. owners out there if you get any clunking noise when
>shifting. <<<<

my 88' makes an excruciating clunk when shifting from 1-2 while rolling
through a parking lot or something. Like nails on a chalkboard..... =(
  I was told that it is indigenous by someone on the list, so I would
keep an eye on it anyway.

-mike d

btw-" beaucoup" oh! THAT'S how you spell that!!!

88, V6, LE, 3.55, SlushBox
miggitymike@juno.com >or< mpsykes@erols.com

Bee Ee Ay eSs Tee Iye Ee !!!
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

On Wed, 17 Jun 98 11:33:36 -0500 fawcett@uism.bu.edu writes:
> On my '98 V8 4X4 CC w/auto. trans. I get a "clunk" when shifting
>into
> drive and even worse when shifting into reverse from a dead
>stop...
> My comparison vehicle ('96 Ford Explorer) doesn't have the
>"clunking"
> symptom.
>
> I got my '98 FSM today and it says the possible culprits could be
>as
> follows:
>
> High engine idle speed (Don't think so...)
> Loose engine/transmission/transfer case mounts.
> Worn U-joints (Don't think so/new vehicle)
> Loose spring mounts.
> Loose pinion gear nut and yoke.
> Excessive ring gear backlash.
> Excessive side gear/case clearance.
>
> Before I waist beaucoup time at the dealership or start farting
>around
> under the vehicle, I thought I might ask all you '97 & '98 auto.
> trans. owners out there if you get any clunking noise when
>shifting.
> Just trying to figure out if this is indigenous to the species...
>
> Thanks.
>
> T.
> Boston, MA

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]