Re: Modded the R/T

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 21:06:27 EDT

> I have had my R/T CC for about two weeks now and after looking under the
> hood I have noticed the same exact spot that you are talking about .

probably the same on all 97-98s

> That spot seems to be the ideal place to have a fresh air intake hos of
> some kind . Right!
>
> Looks like it couldn't be too big of a diameter , but I think that may be
> able to use some of the experiments of those in this list to adapt
> something here . At least 4" dia.
>
> How about being able to route a K&N cone shaped filter onto the grill side
> of the opening and then having this connected to the factory air hat via a
> 3 or 3.5" stainless steel or aluminum pipe ? What size pipe would fit into
> the factory air box just above the t-body
>
> I have to look at it closer , but if I can get the cone filter in there , I
> bet it would work well .
>
> When I first saw that area where the rubber filler is next to the radiator
> , I knew it had to be the perfect place to have a concealed ram air type of
> setup . It is DIRECTLY behind the rediator with only a couple of vanes in
> the grill filler between it and the open air right in front of the truck .
>
> I used 2 4" air cond air duct elbows from Lowes, fitted them together and
> adjusted them so they

just fit between the inlet of the stock box (they fit around the opening
snugly) and the 4" hole I cut in the rubber flap beside the radiator. I
painted the whole thing flat black and it is not noticable with the hood
closed. I had to notch the front of the pipe a little to clear a condenser
line. Now I have ordered a K&N filter to put in the stock box. If u want cold
air and have low hood clearance it seems the only way I could do it. BTW here
in Texas it has been daily over 100+ degrees in the day and high 80s at night.
If the underhood air is 30-40 deg hotter there is no way that can be good!Jim
Miller
Waco, Tx
98 Sport V8
3.92 SG Mopar headers