Re: FWD pickups

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 11:01:25 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/98 9:30:57 AM Central Daylight Time, krp@netnitco.nett
writes:

<< > Speaking of H/D FWD transaxles, what about the high-performance
vehicles
> like the blown Grand Prix and SHO Taurus?

 These motors don't have much torque.

 |{eith R. Phelps

 Cat..... the other white meat. >>

Whoa! The GM 3800 Series II Blown Motor is 240Hp @ 5200, and 280 ft-lb @ 3200.
And with a little tweak (pulley change) it goes 300+ HP. That engine is well
proven powerplant, with a long, successful history.

However, don't get me wrong, the Front drive tranny/drivetrain is the weak
link in the quest for front-wheel drive performance (at least in the GM GP,
Regal cars). The GM drivetrain in the GP, Regal, Etc. Is not the same
caliber as the Cadillac 300HP Northstars. I was on a Pontiac GP mailing list,
and those guys did not have alot of confidence that the GM tranny would last
if pushed near its limits.

P.S. I felt this was necessary, as I am the proud owner of a 97 Grand Prix
(3.8L, Normally Aspirated) - And it is much faster than my truck!
Yea! I know, if I want to talk Pontiacs, go back to the Pontiac List.

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto