re:Cowl vs. Snout

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 16:26:08 EDT

>Sounds cool Jon, so after all that what do you think is better, scoops up
>front or the cowl?

The original Mustang Shelby GT-350 was tested with both a front-facing
scoop and rear-facing scoop. They found the rear-facing scoop to provide
more air to the air cleaner. They went with the front-facing scoop
because the designers didn't think they could convince the buying public
that it actually worked.

The 70's Trans Am shaker ACTUALLY worked. It was too far forward to be
as efficient as it could have been. I owned a '72 4 spd, and I can tell
you it was like hitting a passing gear when the flap opened. Pressure
measurements by Pontiac engineers indicated in front of the windshield
was a very high pressure area, and thus the rear-facing shaker and the
Ram Air capability. Worked better than the scoops on a GTO or '69 T/A,
which actually had the scoops in a relatively low pressure area as the
air was routed over the hood.

Just my $0.02

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red R/T CC