Re: Coolant/System Flush

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Fri Jun 26 1998 - 09:14:19 EDT

> > how maybe gallons of antifreeze with a 70/30 mix will I need to fill it
> > back up???

  Check the owner's manual; it has preventative maintenance capacities for all
engines.

  Is that a 70:30 coolant:water ratio, or a water:coolant ratio? If it's the
former, I'd be VERY careful to make sure I didn't get any pinging (raw coolant
has a pretty crappy heat transfer capacity). If it's the latter, I'd probably
switch to a 12-18 month drain/flush/fill interval. The coolant's additive
package only lasts so long.

  If I remember my FSM correctly, the factory recommends a 50:50 ratio, so
that's what I stick with as a balance between the two extremes. Of course,
I also live in North Carolina and don't have to worry about bitter cold.
But the 50:50 ratio worked perfectly well in the summer desert heat back
when I lived in CA, too.

  I've also started using the 5 year/150,000 mile coolant. It isn't a difficult
job, but it is a PITA and I like to avoid extra work whenever possible.

  Ron