Re: Re: Dynomax Race Magnum -attn. Will

From: WM96@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 11:43:56 EDT

<<Yes, I don't like any vehicle that dumps the exhaust under the body.
My preference is to run pipes all the way back.

The biggest thing about the sound of Sean's truck is that you
can hear it all the time from the cab. If you want to go deaf
from listening to the drone of the exhaust, go ahead. But
that's not for me.

On my Dak, I've installed the Gibson 3" single pipe
side-exit kit. It follows the path of the factory exhaust
and exits behind the rear wheel. All of the noise gets
out from under the truck and is pointed at people
behind/beside me.

In the cab, my truck is relatively quiet. I can
still hear the exhaust a little but it's not overwhelming.

Same type of deal for David R.'s truck. He has run custom dual
pipes straight back to the rear bumper. Those pipes get
the sound back behind the truck. I drove his truck
when I lived in Michigan and I couldn't believe how
quiet it is. But if you are behind David at the stop
light and he gets on it, you'll know it.

[I drove David's truck while Sean and David followed behind
me so David could hear what his exhaust really sounds like.
I'd recommend this "test flight" to anyone who has changed
their exhaust. You can't tell what the truck sounds like
by sitting in the cab.]

Having ridden behind both David's truck and
my own truck (with Sean at the helm), I think
the exhaust designs that bring the pipes all the
way back produce a much "cleaner" sound.
When you dump the exhaust under the bed
of the truck, you get a muffled roar that sounds like
a '77 Cutlass with rusty pipes. ;^)

So, the moral of the story is: Whether you go
single or dual, run those pipes all the way
back!!!

Thanks for the tip Scott. I'll probably run it over the axle and still dump
it with a single 3" turndown. I dont want to pay for all the pipes and tips
as I already have a custom dual setup with a turbo muffler that I don't like.
I'll run mine a little farther than Seans and since mine is a CC that will
give me a little more distance too so maybe I'll be alright. If not I can
still handle a little exhaust noise in the cab.

Will