RE: Re: DML Digest V3 #971: Check engine light comes on.

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sun Jul 05 1998 - 16:11:10 EDT

Don't laugh off the gas cap thing quite yet. On my '98 Viper, if the gas
cap isn't tight the "Service Engine Soon" light will come on and it sets
a code for "slight fuel leak in evaporative system". Seems that (on that
car at least) the computer presurized the fuel system (tank, etc)
periodically and if there is a leak (i.e. it won't hold pressure) then
it light the light. Also happens with cheaper aftermarket locking gas
caps...

Craig