Re: Re: DML Digest V3 #971: Check engine light comes on.

From: Matt Rowe (rowe@vt.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 05 1998 - 17:27:42 EDT

>I am new to the list, and have a 98 3.9 extracab 4x4. I've done no
>performance mods, but the check engine light came on last week. Dutifully, I
>pulled over and checked the engine. Runs fine.

Had the same problem with my 89, 3.9 4x4.
There is most likely nothing wrong with the engine. So far mine has come
on twice. First time I took it to a shop. They brought out the a
diagnostics machine, hooked it to the computer and reset it. Apparently it
counts the number of times the engine is started and just turns itself on
so that the owner will bring it in to be checked out since it's been used
so much. Cost me $24 to have the thing reset. Second time I took the
light out.m I'm not sure of the number of starts on the engine it requires.

/\/\att
'89 3.9 4x4