Re: engine swap/supercharger

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 04:55:30 EDT

<< I don't mind lower gas mileage if it pays off in more power and lower
 E/T's, but I doubt that's what you were talking about. :-)

   On a related subject, what is the difference between the 380 crate
 motor and a production motor? Fuel injection is an obvious one. I
 believe the crate motors also use the M1 intake manifold. There must
 be more for the HP difference though. Anyone know?

Well, as far as I know, the crate motor is an all out power house. those
types of motors you really dont want to be cruisin on the eway every day for
just wear and tear. Thats not what theyre built for. Theyre pretty cammy too
which may make it uncomfortable for every day use.
The M1 intake is a guaranteed extra 25 or so horse power and it can also be
converted into fuel injected ( Mopar Muscle pg 35 of July '97), I know a
company called RC Performance Engineering does this but not sure of any other
company that does, however it really doesnt seem that difficult.
One day however, I may go with the crate, but thats not until my Dak becomes
my TrackDak and my WeekendDak!! Until then Im keeping my "Stock 5.9 Dak" with
only slight internal mods like the cam and whatnot!! Im not even going into
the heads, if I go that far I might as well just bore my 5.9 and turn it into
a crate killer!!
Eric