15s......should it run better? via digest mode

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 07:39:49 EDT

     Hey fellas....what's up?! Just me bein' nosey again and I caught this
thread in the archive. Hope ya don't mind me poppin' in as I thought I'd
sign on for 10 min. and throw my 2 cents in.

George....what are your 60' times? While et and mph are a good indicator
of hp the 60' is the tell all of gettin' it to the pavement.

>Do I drive thru the water?...No, I drive around cause my fronts were
getting
>too much water in them, and when i would launch, the tires would spin thru
L1,
>and part of L2. I go around the water, back up so I get about 1/4 of the
tire
>wet, then pull out and brake stand the smokin tires for about 5 to 10
seconds.
>Then I do 1 or 2 dry hops, before staging.

     *NO* water or burnout on street radials. Street radial compounds are
designed to resist heating up. The typical burnout you see only benfits
slicks and DOT racin' rubber. Any if you were runnin' slicks or DOTs the
dry hops are a no-no as well. They tend to work against the heating of the
tire. Now....if yer tryin' to burn the tread off a radial for use at the
track so ya got a "slick" then burn away! I can't see myself spendin' the
money for drag specific tires right now as often as I race so this may be
the route I go.

Best best for racin' on yer street rubber is to pull around the water box
and just break the tires loose for an instant to shed any stuff that might
have stuck to 'em comin' thru the pits or stagin' lanes. Even just backin'
into the water will grab water in the tread and fling it up into yer
wheelwell wear it can drip back onto the tire at the tree.
>Tire Pressure....I run 32psi on the street, but for some reason I dropped
down
>to 25 at the track. Guess it was from listening to the dudes with slicks.

     Jon was right on with the pressure. You could be seein' a loss in
contact patch at that low of a psi. What tire on what rim? Best way to
check for the proper pressure is to lay down a patch of rubber. You want
the black mark to be a nice even color all the way across and to match the
tread width on the tire. Light color towards the center is a sign of
cupping and light towards the outside or a smaller width than the tire
tread shows over-inflation.
>Loss of traction....I am gonna pick up a set of lakewood traction bars
>tommorrow, on the same trip to the autozone.

     Can't go wrong with these for the money.

And the temp thing is gonna be a HUGE factor. Let's say abitrarily you and
Jon both have the same hp. Jon's truck was dynoed at 260 the day he ran
the 14.9 with it bein'. 62 degrees. Your 100 degree day would cost you
18hp! That's temp alone! Humidty, barometric pressure, and altitude all
figure in too.

Signin' off.....I'll hang out on the list today if ya wanna chat about this
more. I'd say you've got a 14 in that truck easy George. Just need the
right weather is all.

L8R

****** 97 RPM Dakota - 14.98 @ 91.76 ******

sean meldrum