Loose exhaust manifold bolts???

From: jeanninemike@fuse.net
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 14:11:18 EDT

Yesterday, just for kicks, I thought that I would check the exhaust manifold bolts on my '98 Sport 5.2L for tightness. To my surprise, the front bolt on the driver's side wasn't even snug! So, I tightened it up to be snug (but not overly tight). I also tightened a couple of other bolts on the manifold. Later on when I drove the truck, the engine sound from under the hood is quieter with more of a lower power hum than a raspy, spitting sound. I plan to eventually check all of the exhaust manifold bolts, because some are hidden by heat shields, etc. Can someone with the factory service manual tell me what the torque specs and torqueing sequence are for these bolts? Anyone else noticed this problem? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota Sport 4X4 CC Flame Red
5.2L, K&N filter, 180 thermostat