Re: Loose exhaust manifold bolts???

From: Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 14:55:20 EDT

At 02:11 PM 7/9/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Yesterday, just for kicks, I thought that I would check the exhaust
manifold bolts on my '98 Sport 5.2L for tightness. To my surprise, the
front bolt on the driver's side wasn't even snug! So, I tightened it up to
be snug (but not overly tight). I also tightened a couple of other bolts
on the manifold. Later on when I drove the truck, the engine sound from
under the hood is quieter with more of a lower power hum than a raspy,
spitting sound. I plan to eventually check all of the exhaust manifold
bolts, because some are hidden by heat shields, etc. Can someone with the
factory service manual tell me what the torque specs and torqueing sequence
are for these bolts? Anyone else noticed this problem? Thanks in advance
for your responses.

>Michael Reynolds
>'98 Dakota Sport 4X4 CC Flame Red
>5.2L, K&N filter, 180 thermostat

Personally, I would take it to the dealer and bitch at him until the
service department tightened them for free. Save your knuckle skin for
future mods.=) I think they supposed to be 25 ft. lbs. tightened from the
center out in a three step torquing procedure. Don't take my word for it,
though.

Brian