Re: 380 HP Crate Motor

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 17:26:37 EDT

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 RAS*002@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Has anyone had any experiences with putting the 380 HP crate motor
> into an ODB II Dakota? I am concerned about the computer adaptability
> issues and driveability.

  I don't have any experience, but I plan to swap in a 360 at some point,
so I've been keeping my eyes and ears open. Basically, if you want to
go with Fuel Injection, you'll probably need a custom computer made to
control it. (not fun) Otherwise, you can easily go the carbeurated route
and you wouldn't have to worry about the computer at all. (cause there
wouldn't be one...) Only, I'm not exactly sure what the computer
controls. (speedometer? dash indicator lights? temperature sensors? etc...)

   Maybe you could use a pre-drilled M1 with the crate motor; that might
allow you to use fuel injection with a MP PCM. You'd probably have to put
a milder cam in though.

  Originally, I was planning on swapping in the 380 crate motor into my
'96, but its looking more and more like I should go with a production
engine, so I can hook everything up. (Also will help to pass a visual
inspection) Also, that way, I can use a Mopar Performance PCM from a Ram.

Speaking of OBD-II... Since I have a '96 with OBD-II, will I need a
'96+ engine if I want it to be a "direct" swap?

> Someone at the Mopar Performance hotline (this guy had a VERY "down"
> attitude) told me that the crate motors were completely different from
> the production motors - no parts interchanged, and it wouldn't work in a
> '98 Dak! I was under the impression that the motors were identical
> (long blocks) with the exception of larger valves and different cam
> timing. Even the cam timing on the 380 HP motor looks mild enough to be
> streetable, but I'd like to be certain before making a final decision.
>
> The guy at MP also told me that Mopar was NOT going to offer a
> computer upgrade or headers or any other performance parts for '98
> models. Has anyone else heard this? When you call the tech line, do
> you ask for someone (knowledgeable AND upbeat) in particular? I'd sure
> hate to get this guy again...

    Darn, I hate when that happens. :-P Who is responsible for giving
these jerks a job where they have to deal with customers? These bad
attitude losers should be shipped off to a less important task, or
better yet, canned. Seems like there's one or two everywhere. (MP,
Summit, etc.)

   I'll be following this thread with some interest, because it was
my understanding that the crate engines were Magnums. Heads, intake,
etc. all swap over. Heck, that's been a core part of my purchasing plans;
only buy stuff that will swap over to the engine I plan to upgrade to,
which might possibly be a crate motor.

   You'd think that the people working at MP would know what they're
talking about though. Strange. Maybe you should try again and
hopefully you'll get someone with a little more enthusiasm. If you
do, let is know what you find out!

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |