Re: Cargo Light on 98 Dak

From: roger a. Sampson (rsampson@ddc.net)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 22:38:04 EDT

CHRISH@citytv.com wrote:

> Hi All . . .
>
> I have a 98 Dakota Club Cab which I just recently picked up from the
> dealer. I _thought_ I ordered a cargo light with this thing, but
> apparently in all the to-and-fro of the deal making it either got left
> off the order or got bargained away. I'm over being bitter about that,
> but not over my desire to have a cargo light on this puppy. I could use
> a little help, though.
>
> I've been into tree dealers' parts departments now, and they all give me
> a strange look when I ask for a replacement third brake light with cargo
> light lenses. Like they've never heard of such an animal. If my friend
> who has a '97 exactly like mine _didn't_ have the darn thing, I'd take
> 'em at their word, and forget about it. However, I know the darn thing
> exists.
>
> Also, I've had the existing fixture out of the cavity, and pulled the
> connector out. The connector in question is a six-wire connector. Pins
> 1 and 2 are not used, 3 and 4 are for the brake light, and 5 and 6 are
> wired to the second stop on the rotary part of the headlight switch,
> which would normally be used to turn the cargo lights on. I confirmed
> that those leads are live using a voltmeter.
>
> The stock all-red tail light also has empty spots to the left and right
> of the brake light bulb where one would find the wiring and sockets for
> the cargo lights.
>
> So here is the poser: Does anyone have _any_ idea of what I need to ask
> these parts department guys for in order to get the fixture I want? If
> anyone by some amazing coincidence has the actual part number for the
> lamp I want, I would be most grateful. I would also solicit your help in
> tracking down one of these puppies for my beautiful Intense Blue Dak.
>
> Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers
> -ch
> 98 Dakota Club Cab, PB3 Intense Blue, 3.9L V6.
cHRIS,
I have the cargo lamps on a '97 Club Cab. The fixture is called a CHMSL
(Center High Mounted Stop Lamp. Hard to imagine, (or is it?) that the
parts folks counld not find it. +12vdc (pink wire) is supplied from fuse
#12, (10 amps)at all times,(non switched). Ground is provided via the
headlamp switch, pink/dark blue). For the stop lamp, white/tan is +12vdc
when brakes applied, and black is ground.

If the dealer can not tell you the number, I will take my off and take a
look, however I suspect it will have the manufacturers number as opposed
to Chrysler's number. That could really confuse the parts folks.

roger s