Re: RT Exhaust misconceptions...

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 15:22:25 EDT

Jack et al,
Just got out from under The Beast and... Wimpy, disgusting 2" inlet on the
Cat with horrible non mandrel bent 2 " head pipes joining at a nasty 60deg
angle... The whole R/T exhaust packkage is essentially a 3" Cat Back
arrangement with stock head pipes. The head pipes Gotta GO! Headers and
new headpipes with an 8 deg blend should give major improvements to flow.
lots of room over the left side of the transmission cross member for the
left head pipe. The 3" outlet should be O.K at RPM below 5500... Normally a
H.P. exhaust would go from big to small as the various devices (Cat and
muffler) reduce the velocities of the gas stream. The R/T is reversed...
No wonder those Trans Am guys are shaking their heads... Im soooo
disappointed that Im going to buy some headers ASAP...Well, as soon as they
are available.
BKB