Re: Finally raced an R/T

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Sun Jul 05 1998 - 05:49:09 EDT

--------------EFCF9A617411E2A19BDECAC1

Alan;
Yep the trans. in these things do have a lot of overlap in the shifts, but that
can be fixed. I have a TRANSGO TFOD-HD2 in my 98 5.2 sport and after playing
with it a few times ( pulling the valve body off two or three times ) to get the
kind of shift that I wanted I am very happy with it. Boy does it make a big
difference in performance. You can make it shift very very hard in 1-2 by adding
the supplied spacer and replacing the spring in the rear servo and by doing this
it allows you to remove a check ball in the valve body. I have done everything
but that final mod. but I will be taking it back down and doing that to it soon.
The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are great either way you go. I drilled the spacer plate
holes to the max. size ( I started small, drove it a few days then went all the
way, no regrets )
Good luck
Colin H.

Mok, Alan (SPB Brentwood) wrote:

> FWIW, I am not that thrilled with the performance of my R/T CC. It handles
> awesome for a truck but horsepower/acceleration seems lacking. It certain
> out performs any "stock" truck out there but I wouldn't go up against
> anything that's been "built"
>
> ET is 16.1 @ 91 mph according to my G-tech. Maybe it's because I'm used to
> 5.0 Mustangs (is that word forbidden on this list) with 5-speeds but it's
> nothing to brag about.
>
> My major complaint is the auto trans which is a slush box in my opinion.
> It's does not match gear selection with road speed very well. Even my wife's
> Honda auto trans would down shift when slowing. I often find the engine
> laboring to get back up to speed ( at ~1500rpm) after slowing. I would have
> to really punch the gas for it to down shift and that would take a couple
> seconds.
>
> Would a shift kit cure this? who makes and where do I get one? I don't want
> to chirp the tires at every shift though. Any ideas?
>
> Alan Mok ®
> Systems Engineer
> X3396
>
> '88 x-CHP Mustang LX
> '89 Mustang GT (347, Griggs, S-trim and the list goes on...)
> '98 Dakota R/T CC (I'll pretend it's a 5.0 Ranger)

<HTML>
Alan;
Yep the trans. in these things do have a lot of overlap in the shifts,
but that can be fixed. I have a <B><I><U>TRANSGO TFOD-HD2 </U></I></B>in
my 98 5.2 sport and after playing with it a few times ( pulling the valve
body off two or three times ) to get the kind of shift that I wanted I
am very happy with it. Boy does it make a big difference in performance.
You can make it shift very very hard in 1-2 by adding the supplied spacer
and replacing the spring in the rear servo and by doing this it allows
you to remove a check ball in the valve body. I have done everything but
that final mod. but I will be taking it back down and doing that to it
soon. The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are great either way you go. I drilled the
spacer plate holes to the max. size ( I started small, drove it a few days
then went all the way, <B><I><U>no regrets </U></I></B>)
Good luck
Colin H.
<B><I><U></U></I></B>

Mok, Alan (SPB Brentwood) wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>FWIW, I am not that thrilled with the performance
[...]

Alan Mok &reg;
Systems Engineer
X3396

'88 x-CHP Mustang LX
'89 Mustang GT (347, Griggs, S-trim and the list goes on...)
'98 Dakota R/T CC (I'll pretend it's a 5.0 Ranger)

Hopefully that R/T owner will digest the humble pie and
reconsider

"snubbing" a fellow Dak/Mopar owner. More than likely hes
out for some more

dessert though...

BKB

At 01:32 AM 7/10/98 EDT, you wrote:

>behold,,, an R/T, Amethyst ( thats the purple right?).

> I wanted to run him of course, but I also wanted to
talk to him. The guy

>was a wee bit cocky!!! He would only look at me out of the
corner of his eye,

>and as I was cruising beside him in third he had it in 2
and kept punching it

>on-and-off-on-and-off. All the while laughing with a buddy
and side glancing

>me!! Soooo, I stepped into it a little in third just to
raise the R's up and

>let him maybe reconsider while he still had a chance!!
But, to my enjoyment

>that just made him more sure of himself. He slowed it down
and kept it in

>first so I dumped into second and we rolled along until he
jumped into it and

>I got a slow start but immediately pulled up on him and
held and crept past a

>three quarter truck lead on him.

> After all that I wanted to see if he had anything done to
it. You know,

>maybe show him a few tricks he may not have known. And all
that really just

>of the common thread calle Dak! BUT NOOOOOO, He still had
the attitude!! Oh,

>well!!!

>Eric

></BLOCKQUOTE>