Re: Sticker, Logos, etc.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 11 1998 - 15:27:11 EDT

At 12:11 AM 7/11/98 -0400, you wrote:

><<
> I think our little list is spawning the beginings of a full fledged club !
>
> YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> I wouldn't mind paying a minimal yearly due to cover the cost of stickers ,
> shirts , hats or whatever .
> W . Jack Hilton III >>
>DITTO Jon, what do ya think? The DML Club!!?? Ill cover my end of the
>dues!! Lets get those shirts, hats and whatevers printed up!!
>Eric

  :-)

  Yeah, I've always thought of the DML as a club anyway. :-) You're
right, it would be cool to have an "identity" of sorts...

  Of course, there are a lot of people on the list who have no interest
in this I'm sure, and I don't want to exclude anyone. Back when I first
started mulling this over, my thoughts about how it would work is
that "stuff" (tshirts, decals, whatever) could be sold to whoever wanted
them, either at cost, or a couple of dollars over cost with the "profit"
going into the DML account which is used to pay the ISP hosting costs.

  There's a volunteer contribution "system" in place right now (ever
since we moved to a commercial ISP) in fact.
(http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/FINANCIAL/)

  The "merchandise" would be along the same lines... A small part
would go to keep the DML alive (the rest would be used for the cost
of the item), so its a donation, but you're getting something along
with it...

  I don't know if any of you are in the Denizens of Doom motorcycle
club, (in rec.motorcycles.*) but they've done that quite sucessfully for
a while. (Someone will post a message saying, "who's interested in some
patches?" If there's enough interest, they find out costs, get 'em made,
sell them, and any profit gets donated to the AMA Motorcycle Museum.
Same sort of deal, except the profit is used to keep the list running.

  I think this would work quite well... Anyone interested in the
club aspects, getting tshirts, etc. could, but there wouldn't be
any requirements; people who want to use the list for free or with
minimal involvement will still be able to do so.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |