RE: Working on tb now - tips - maybe!?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 11 1998 - 22:30:11 EDT

At 06:48 PM 7/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Ha! I never even thought of squeezing the two halves of the shaft
>together!!! Live and learn!

  Its amazing how a bunch of people can do the same job, but do it in
so many different ways! :-) Seems as if no matter how slick you think
you did something, there's always someone else who found an easier way.
  (At least, that seems to happen to me a lot!) :-)

>Well, I stayed up all night last night doing this and got it back on
>the truck. I didn't have time to get the thing looking like glass
>(had to have it together by this afternoon) and there's a hacksaw nick
>in it here and there, but I got my desired effect. The thing felt
>like it had wrapped to 5000-5200 - a normal performance shift for me,
>and that was when the motor was only at 4400-4500!!! Just my initial
>impression, but I'll do more "testing" after I get off work ; ). I
>haven't even made an "s" bolt yet, didn't touch the shaft or blades
>(except to get the shaft out - ha!), didn't remove much material from
>the upper bore - none from the bottom, and the top would be called
>ugly by some, but there is a helluva difference - my main goal was to
>eliminate the "obstacle course" that CC saw fit to put the air through
>on it's way to the bore. I thought the bearings were sealed too, but
>unfortunately, they're not. You can see the grease packed ball
>bearings from the inside upon close inspection. I used gun scrubber
>to clean em out and repacked em. Polish it up and add an "s" bolt
>later. BTW, I nearly couldn't get one of the blade screws back in -
>frustrating - played with the tip with a grinding stone and finally
>got it.

   Yep, the top of mine is pretty ugly too. I polished it up, but its
not really completely flat, and there are definitely some nice nicks
in it! :-) Way better than it was before, flow-wise though. Lets
those air molecules run straight through the playground without
having to go through that obstacle course. ;-)

  Mmy screws were a real pain too. One of 'em had some loctite on it
that just did NOT want to let go of the threads. I had the brilliant
idea of holding the end with a shop towel and a pair of plyers, and then
using a screwdriver to turn the screw. I figured it'd "unscrew" the screw
right out of the loctite. Stripped 4 or 5 threads intstead! :-P
  (Of course, this was at 7:50pm when the hardware store was closing at
8!) Made it in time, barely. :-) (Unfortunately, the screws I got
were really cheapo and two of 'em snapped off in the shaft so I had to
drill 'em out and go get some better hardware at a further hardware store
that was open until 9.) :-) What we do in the quest for power... ;-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |