Re: : Synthetic Motor oil recommendations

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 00:52:45 EDT

Jack;
I doubt if Mobil Paid anything for that recommendation ( as tight as they are)
But really Mobil 1 is by far the Best synthetic oil on the market period!!
I have worked very close with a lot of Mobil engineers and have done countless
testing on their products as well as most of the other brand x oils.
Mobil makes there own base stocks unlike most of the brands, which enables them
to control the quality a little better. Also They manufacture there own
additive packages as well.
There are a lot things to look at when talking about synthetic oils vs mineral
based oils. Shear stability is a problem with mineral based oils as well as
with some of the brand x synthetics. A mineral base oil, say a 10w30 wt. starts
out as a 10-15 wt. base oil with VI improvers to get the 30 wt properties. VI
improvers are polymers that with heat expand and contract with the cold, thus
making the oil seen heavier when it gets hot and thinner when it gets cold.
This all sounds good, but these polymers shear down very quickly leaving you
with a very thin oil.
Also the impurities that are in mineral oils tend to hold a lot heat in the oil
which isn't a very good thing, your oil should help in the cooling of the
engine. Also these impurities ( paraffin wax ) gets heavier when the temps get
cold. A good synthetic has no VI improvers, so there is nothing to shear down.
Say a synthetic of 10w30 wt. is made from a 30 wt base stock, and since there
are no impurities and paraffin wax's
the oil will handle a much lower temp as well as a much higher temp. and since
all of the molecules are the same the oil will transfer heat out of the engine
and so your oil temps will be lower.
There is a lot more to it than just this but I doubt any one wants to see me
rambling on about it.
By the way all Vetts, Porsche's, and Dodge Stealth's ( I think ) use Mobil 1 as
factory fill. So you really don't need to wait through a long break-in period
before switching over, put about 1000 miles on it and get that nasty mineral
oil out of that high HP engine.
Got to go
Colin H