Re: Sticker, Logos, etc.

From: t martin (tmartin1996@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 14 1998 - 21:27:17 EDT

Jon, you are absolutely right. Since 1989, when the US joined the
(international) Berne Convention, which did away with the necessity of the
circle R and registration for US copyright to come into effect. The
copyright ownership rights come into being from the moment of creation -
when the copyrighted subject matter is created in any tangible medium. Its
a no-no to copy soemeone else's works, and expecially to admit it in a
public forum because that's an admission that can get a summary judgement
against you. The copyright owner doesn't even have to go to the ordinarily
difficult proof that you copied, just show your admission and that's pretty
much it.

--tm
patent, trademark, copyright attorney

----------
> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Sticker, Logos, etc.
> Date: Monday, July 13, 1998 11:59 PM
>
> At 01:39 PM 7/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
> >I dunno , but do ya think you should copyright the image ?
>
> Well, technically any original work is copyrighted, even if you
> don't say so or put a little (c) by it (in the US anyway). (If you want
> release it into the public domain, you have to explicitly say so.
(again,