Re: Sticker, Logos, etc.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 02:45:44 EDT

At 09:27 PM 7/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Jon, you are absolutely right. Since 1989, when the US joined the
>(international) Berne Convention, which did away with the necessity of the
>circle R and registration for US copyright to come into effect. The
>copyright ownership rights come into being from the moment of creation -
>when the copyrighted subject matter is created in any tangible medium. Its
>a no-no to copy soemeone else's works, and expecially to admit it in a
>public forum because that's an admission that can get a summary judgement
>against you. The copyright owner doesn't even have to go to the ordinarily
>difficult proof that you copied, just show your admission and that's pretty
>much it.

  Hmmm...

  You know, although I'm not sure that CC would care about us using
their logos, the possibility does exist. And it could get pretty ugly
if it does manifest itself. Its one thing to make up a sticker for
yourself, but if we're going to be putting tradmarked and copyrighted
symbols and logos on merchandise and "selling" it, that might attract
some unwanted attention.

    Its a shame really; all we're doing is displaying our pride in a
manufacturer's products and actually generating advertising for them. It
would be neat if we could legally use their images/logos. Actually, what
we're doing is incorperating aspects of their logos into our own, we're
not directly copying them. Does that make a difference? If the end
result is significantly different than their logos and won't be
confused for their logos, does that make it OK? Or have I been reading
too many software licenses? :-)

  Does anyone have any experience with this? Think CC might consent to
let us use their logos for an endeavor such as this? Who would we ask?

   What does the list think about this? If this is going to be a problem,
maybe we should consider a logo without any potential copyright/tradmark
infringements? Something like that "Ram" idea that's been circulating
around? To be honest with you, I am not familiar with the "scat pak bee"
but I think I get the general idea. Maybe a cartoonish Ram spinning big
fat slicks where its hind legs would be with smoke coming out of his
nostrils? Anyone here an artist? :-) I suppose if we had to, we could
hire somebody to do it, though I have no idea what that might cost.
  Hmmm, actually I just thought of a friend of a friend who is an art
major; he might do it inexpensively...

  Color me dazed and confused... :-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |