Re: Sticker, Logos, etc. (attn: Jon and all)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 17:53:42 EDT

><<
>Long list of ideas (decal-wise)(Future reference - north=up west=left,
>etc.). How about having the ramhead facing the viewer head-on. Smoke from
>nostrils goes east & west. He has horns that curl east/west, out, down,
>and around. To the left and right are tires (smoking) to the NW and NE.
>Out beside his head, (looking like they're on his back) are eight exhaust
>pipes sticking up NNW and NNE. Flames come from the pipes. Oh yeah, you
>can see the first pipes (on each side) - while the rest are slightly
>obscured. YOu could have a Hilborn injection setup for the induction, or
>an Enderle (spelling ??) "bugcatcher". I got preliminary drawings, but no
>scanner. How's this?
>Brian
> >>
>WOW!! Pretty aggresive isnt it!!! Its cool! But before we get totally out
>of hand here, remember that not all on the DML are of the hotrod nature. Some
>are pigeon haulers, some are slick ass R/T tow trucks, and some are butt
>kickin, mud throwin, big knobby tire ridin 4X4's!! Maybe we should stick with
>either just the DML logo and the URL, or a more stock looking Ram head
>cartoonish type!! Does that make sense? I just dont want to alienate anyone.
>Jon, do you agree?

   I was thinking about that aspect myself. I do agree that it would probably
be a good idea to keep the "official?" DML logo generic. Not specific
to model years, useage, etc. However, this does bring up an interesting
aspect... I don't mean this in a "real club" sense, but what if we were to have
divisions within the DML? Like a seperate logo for the drag racers, another
for the offroaders, etc. If enough people were interested in a "specific
application" type logo, we could design 'em and print 'em up!

   I don't know if many of you are EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association)
members (I know at least 2 of you are), but that is a HUGE organization
that covers all sorts of planes. They have seperate "divisions" within
EAA that you can belong to, like Warbirds, Antique/Classic, Ultralights,
etc. Each division has its own logos and identity. I believe the
military does this as well. (For example, "Airborne", "Ranger", "Seals",
etc.)

   The problem that arises with a generic logo is that its hard to
do without using CC logos. Maybe we should just go ahead and do it? If
CC doesn't like it, they will probably send a "cease and desist" letter,
which we would. If that were to happen, we'd have to go through this
whole logo thing again and try to come up with one without any CC logos in it.
I have no idea what the likelyhood of that happening might be. The auto
manufacturers can't be happy about all those "urinating calivns", but they
are still made and sold, and I haven't heard of the manufacturers or Bill
Watterson going after these people. They are making them for a profit,
while degrading and insulting the manufacturer whereas the way we'd use the
logos would actually promote CC, and the only "profit" that comes from them
is used to keep the list running. If the manufacturers haven't gone after
the Calvins, I get the feeling they wouldn't care about us?

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |