Re: Headers

From: Mike Miller (slepyhed@netway.com)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 22:28:25 EDT

----------
> From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
> To: slepyhed@netway.com
> Subject: Headers
> Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 12:33 PM
>

> Hey Mike.
>
> You really seem to know your stuff so I thought I would impose on
you
> if you don't mind... I was thinking of jumping on this JBA header
> deal but I'm not necessarily interested in the race aspect. My kick

> is more 4 wheeling/day to day derivability, but I wouldn't mind a
few
> more horses and torque. Are the shorty headers a good compromise or

> should I hold out and look for longer headers? Any down side to day

> to day driving for either type of header?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Tom
> Boston
>
> P.S. I have been thinking about trying my truck out on the strip
> (just for kicks) at the N.E. Dragway but I've never done this
before.
> How does it work/cost to run a street machine in the 1/4 mile?
>
> Thanks again.

Tom, thanks for the reply and the vote of confidence! Just don't trust me
too far, 'cause engineers are often proved to be complete boneheads.
Example: Up to and during WW2, engineers claimed that flight beyond the
speed of sound was impossible. This was obviously proved wrong. Engineers
made this claim based on an assumption that later proved to be inaccurate.
So, take an engineer's word with a grain of salt :)

To respond to your question: If you're not looking for *maximum*
performance (rather just better performance) I'd say jump on the shorty
header deal NOW. The shorties WILL give you an increase in performance, and
the installation is a snap. From what I've read here, the shorties will
give you like 20 more horsepower. Race style headers will give you maybe 5
more horsepower (like 25 horsepower total), but installion of shorties is
*so* much easier. For your intended usage you really should jump in on this
shorty header deal (IMHO).

If all you're looking for is fun, you'll love testing at NE Dragway. I went
there just today, and I had really horrible results (see my related post).
Even so, I had a ton of fun, and that's what it is really all about. It
costs $10 to get in, then another $15 to race. For a newish, mostly
unmodified truck, you won't have any problems getting through tech
inspection. Mainly, they look for an overflow can (your plastic overflow
jug meets this criteria) and they look for hubcaps. If you have hubcaps,
they'll just ask that you remove them. You shouldn't need a helmet, but I
recommend it (can't be too safe). Most importantly, have fun!

-Mike Miller