Re: Shorty vs. Long-tube headers (kinda long)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 19 1998 - 22:54:03 EDT

DT don't recommend coating the headers, unless you mind
voiding the lifetime warranty on the headers.

Check with DT before you go that route. Personally, my DT's
are 1.5 years old with 55k miles on them. Still look nice, though
some blue/hot spots. Makes for a good conversation when checking
my oil at the gas stations :)

FWIW I haven't had any heat related problems under the hood except
a battery that died (heat?) and I torn one of my splash guards (between
the wheel and shock area), so I took them out. Now all of the heat
generated
by the headers is blown out through the fenders/wheel wells... The guy at
Wendy's drivethrough last week was sweating up a storm when I was taking
my order (LOL)...

People asking about the Y-pipe: there's no clamp for the center section.
It
is a slip fit style connector. I didn't like that, so I put a 2.5" exhaust
clamp on it,
and shaved the bolts flush (makes it stick down as low as the rear diff).
The
clamp I bought was a piece of junk, and rusted out/and a nut fell off.
Currently
I am 'clampless' but have ruined the slip fit by clamping it-- can you say
exhaust leak-- I am going to replace the clamp and that should fix the
leak.

Sam '95 SLT