Engine Roars

From: droopie (droopie@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Jul 19 1998 - 23:46:07 EDT

--------------DBF95ED655ABD5CC453FFC5C

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:11:48 EDT
From: TXSTIM@aol.com
Subject: DML: New Guy With A Question

I've got a 94 5.2 w/5spd. After sitting for a few days, the first time
start it up the engine "roars", and the throttle response is poor.
After I go
about a mile or so the thing settles down and runs normally again. I've
down
several mods (ported TB, headers, 3" cat bak, MP computer, K&N filter),
but
best I can remember it did this before all the mods. Any suggestions?

Does it sound like your fan clutch is stuck? I know after I sit in
traffic for a while or run into a store and come back out, the clutch is
engaged. If you try to put the hammer down, it sounds like a B-17
taxiing and doesn't want to RPM. Once the clutch disengages everything
is COOL again. After your truck sits for a couple of days again, pop
the hood and see if the fan is engaged or not. Also if you can get a
mirror or your head down there, check the fan clutch and see if it is
leaking fluid.

--
Drew Schofield
1998 Sport 4x4 5.2 CC Black

--------------DBF95ED655ABD5CC453FFC5C Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline

Received: from mail1.bellsouth.net (mail1.bellsouth.net [205.152.0.6]) by mail.mem.bellsouth.net (8.8.8-spamdog/8.8.5) with ESMTP id JAA17219 for <droopie@mem.bellsouth.net>; Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:38:26 -0400 (EDT) Received: from buffnet4.buffnet.net (buffnet4.buffnet.net [205.246.19.13]) by mail1.bellsouth.net (8.8.8-spamdog/8.8.5) with ESMTP id AAA27375 for <droopie@bellsouth.net>; Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:26:53 -0400 (EDT) Received: (from majordom@localhost) by buffnet4.buffnet.net (8.7.5/8.7.3) id AAA14571 for dakota-truck-digest-outgoing; Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:01:13 -0400 (EDT) Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:01:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199807170401.AAA14571@buffnet4.buffnet.net> From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet4.buffnet.net (DML Digest) To: dakota-truck-digest@buffnet4.buffnet.net Subject: DML Digest V3 #1022 Reply-To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net Sender: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet4.buffnet.net Errors-To: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet4.buffnet.net Precedence: bulk X-Mailing-List: The Dakota Mailing List X-URL: http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/dakota.html X-Unsubscribe-Info: Send "unsubscribe dakota-truck" to majordomo@buffnet.net. X-Unsubscribe-URL: http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/CGI-BIN/dml.html

DML Digest Friday, July 17 1998 Volume 03 : Number 1022

The subjects discussed in this digest are: ========== Re: DML: Tool Boxes Re: DML: Tool Boxes DML: Direct fit aftermarket mufflers Re: DML: Club Cab R/T DML: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process.. Re: DML: Re: To everyone considering the JBA deal DML: New Guy With A Question Re: DML: RE: DML Digest V3 #1019 Re: DML: RE: DML Digest V3 #1019 Re: DML: Club Cab R/T DML: Re: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process..1 other note Re: DML: Jules, MPI, header deal, etc....... DML: Mike's in da house... Re: DML: Sticker, Logos, etc. (attn: Jon and all) Re: DML: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process.. Re: DML: Jules, MPI, header deal, etc.......

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:55:40 -0500 From: "Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian" <leefam@wcc.net> Subject: Re: DML: Tool Boxes

At 09:13 PM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote: > >I have one from my '94 Dak that I traded that is diamond-plate aluminum >that I need to get rid of . If you like I can send a few picks this weekend >. I only used it from last Thanksgiving till about two months ago . It is >the kind that is more like a chest that sits flat on the bottom of the bed >directly behind the front bed wall . It has to be drilled into the bed with >small sheet metal screws , but it only takes about 4 of them and it takes >about less than a minute to remove/install with an electric screwdriver . I >still have the box it came in for shipping and a good price , too . > >It will hold a couple suitcases , I will send some dimensions if you like >as well . > >PEACE > >W . Jack Hilton III > >HEMI@mindspring.com > > >

What brand is the box? I've been thinking about gettin' one for awhile.

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:32:20 -0400 From: "W . Jack Hilton III" <hemi@mindspring.com> Subject: Re: DML: Tool Boxes

At 08:55 PM 7/16/98 -0500, you wrote: >At 09:13 PM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote: >> >>I have one from my '94 Dak that I traded that is diamond-plate aluminum >>that I need to get rid of . If you like I can send a few picks this weekend >>. I only used it from last Thanksgiving till about two months ago . It is >>the kind that is more like a chest that sits flat on the bottom of the bed >>directly behind the front bed wall . It has to be drilled into the bed with >>small sheet metal screws , but it only takes about 4 of them and it takes >>about less than a minute to remove/install with an electric screwdriver . I >>still have the box it came in for shipping and a good price , too . >> >>It will hold a couple suitcases , I will send some dimensions if you like >>as well . >> >>PEACE >> >>W . Jack Hilton III >> >>HEMI@mindspring.com >> >> >> > >What brand is the box? I've been thinking about gettin' one for awhile. > >Brian > >

It's a Better Built model number CRTC48 W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@mindspring.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 98 22:42:38 EDT From: HKUSP40578@aol.com Subject: DML: Direct fit aftermarket mufflers

I have a 93 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9 V6....after having many many days of pondering exhaust systems.....I have decided that the most cost effective thing to do is try to find a good performance muffler to replace my 90,000 mile old stock one.....my pipes are in great condition, just the muffler isnt. Anyone know what size the pipe is going into the muffler is andwhat size is the pipe after the muffler? My measurements tell me that it is 3 OD inch before and 2 1/2 OD inch after the muffler, just curious if I am right.....and also can anyone recommend a DIRECT fit muffler for my truck that will sound good and will perform good. THANKS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:48:06 -0500 From: Andre Mauboussin <andrem@cyberramp.net> Subject: Re: DML: Club Cab R/T

There's one for sale in Lewisville TX at Huffines Dodge, but its a demo. Andre

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:44:55 -0500 From: GREGG SPURGEON <SPURG69@worldnet.att.net> Subject: DML: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process..

Just a FYI. That little co. in OKC is Airborne Coatings. I have been through their process on a tour with the Central OK Mopar Club.

They do good work! My dad had is exhaust manifolds coated off his 66 Coronet, they look great.

Later,

Gregg

- -----Original Message----- From: W. Jack Hilton III <hemi@mindspring.com> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 3:40 PM Subject: DML: Answers to JBA part 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:03:34 -0500 From: Andre Mauboussin <andrem@cyberramp.net> Subject: Re: DML: Re: To everyone considering the JBA deal

As I've said before, MPI seems to make some nice stuff. The question is do you want to deal with someone who acts like a ten year old? These opinions are my own. The rest of you judge for yourselves.

Andre Mauboussin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:11:48 EDT From: TXSTIM@aol.com Subject: DML: New Guy With A Question

I've got a 94 5.2 w/5spd. After sitting for a few days, the first time I start it up the engine "roars", and the throttle response is poor. After I go about a mile or so the thing settles down and runs normally again. I've down several mods (ported TB, headers, 3" cat bak, MP computer, K&N filter), but best I can remember it did this before all the mods. Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:20:48 -0500 From: "Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian" <leefam@wcc.net> Subject: Re: DML: RE: DML Digest V3 #1019

At 09:40 PM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote: >I have a 98 Dakota CC that I have had for about a month and somebody >came by and keyed the left rear quarter panel of my truck. The clear >coat is scratched and it went down to the primer on the surface. What >suggestions do you have in fixing this? What should I do to get this >fixed? Go to a dealer or body shop!!! > >Robert N. Askew > > >> ----------

ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, this is time number three that I've tried to reply to your post. My computer keeps locking up(damn you Bill Gates).

Take it to the dealer if they do good work. Try to find some references that have used the dealer before. Better yet, he might do it for free, if he's cool.

If ya take it to a bodyshop, DEFINITELY find some good references first. A place that does lots of custom cars is usually a good bet (not always). Sometimes a dealer will take a car to a bodyshop if it gets damaged in transport. That's a GOOD sign! At least they do it down here in West Texas.

Here comes a bunch of bitching about my dealer. If you don't care to read it, then don't. Just don't yell at me about it if you do.

My dealer sucks because: no Dak R/T's, 1 V10 Ram, no Vipers, 2 SS/T Rams, 1 Prowler ($75,000!!!), crappy service, and rude salesmen. He offered me $5500 for my truck (93 Dak CC V8 LE) on a trade in for a 93 Dak CC V8 4 x 4 LE. He said I could have it if I paid the difference of $7500!!! 4 wheel drive for $7500 (extra) when both trucks are in the same condition is a bunch of BS. The parts department is of no help, too. To get anything accomplished, you have to know the part numbers. They have a stock of hardly any parts, too. It's BS for a town of 90,000. They also special order most parts, so you pay a surcharge. All this probably has to do with the fact he owns the local Shivvy dealership, too. Oh yeah, one more tidbit of info, they told me no Dak R/T's exist, and they never would!?!?!?!?! They said that the option doesn't exist. WTF is that about?

Pissed off at Dealer

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:25:54 -0500 From: "Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian" <leefam@wcc.net> Subject: Re: DML: Club Cab R/T

At 09:48 PM 7/16/98 -0500, you wrote: >There's one for sale in Lewisville TX at Huffines Dodge, but its a demo. >Andre >

Probably has had the tires smoked by everyone in the dealership. ;- )

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:12:53 -0500 From: GREGG SPURGEON <SPURG69@worldnet.att.net> Subject: DML: Re: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process..1 other note

After I sent my original message, I looked through my "car stuff" and found the flyer they gave us from the tour last year.

Mind you, this was from the summer of '97, the "published" cost for block hugger headers (which they only have two categories, full length and block hugger) is $105.00, inside & out. You can also get your cast manifolds done for the same price.

If anyone would like to check this out, the phone number to Airborn Coatings in OKC is (405) 685-4433.

- -----Original Message----- From: GREGG SPURGEON <SPURG69@worldnet.att.net> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 9:55 PM Subject: DML: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process..

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:36:07 -0500 From: Donny M Hayes <hayesdm@scott.net> Subject: Re: DML: Jules, MPI, header deal, etc.......

I didn't mean to senselessly throw our money away if we actually had a VALID counter offer, but with items like "gonna throw in free shipping, but...." and such, I had just grown tired of some of the BS. We should always be on the lookout for a good deal, and make your own decision as to what that is, but I would rather deal with someone willing to give me concrete answers and details, not just "we were gonna" or some such.

All just my opinion, so please take it as that. You know the saying: Opinions are like assholes, we all have one and we all think everybody else's stinks. - -----Original Message----- From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu <fawcett@uism.bu.edu> To: DAKOTA-TRUCK@buffnet.net <DAKOTA-TRUCK@buffnet.net> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 4:57 PM Subject: RE: DML: Jules, MPI, header deal, etc.......

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:38:28 -0500 From: Michael Clark <mike@snakebite.com> Subject: DML: Mike's in da house...

Hey guys I'm back on the DML now, had to take care of all my summer fun and the 100+ messages were just too much. Man looks like you people have been busy with this group JBA deal. Just a few months ago a friend of mine was telling me of all the group purchases the Impalla list has, and I was thinking how nice it would be if we could do something like that. Man were were you Jack when I bought my Thorleys (which by the way are great) but I wish they were coated. You people getting the JBA's I must say... SPEND THE EXTRA $100 FOR THE COATING!!! Now is the time to get them coated not after you have installed them. For me, I'll have to remove mine and ship them off (more shipping charges) so my Dak will be dissabled for a week or so. Definately coat before they go on the truck. And believe me, without a coating those things will pour out the heat which as we know is not good for performance unless you have a ram air system that can breath from the outside.

So what's next on the DML group purchase plan? I could use some sway bars.... ;-)

Good to be back! - -- - ---Mike, near Houston.--- My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html Dakota Webring==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:38:36 -0500 From: Michael Clark <mike@snakebite.com> Subject: Re: DML: Sticker, Logos, etc. (attn: Jon and all)

Jon Steiger wrote: > is used to keep the list running. If the manufacturers haven't gone after > the Calvins, I get the feeling they wouldn't care about us? >

Good point Jon, that makes sense. I say go for it and see what happens.

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:42:26 -0500 From: Michael Clark <mike@snakebite.com> Subject: Re: DML: Re: Answers to JBA part 2 coating process..

GREGG SPURGEON wrote: > > Just a FYI. That little co. in OKC is Airborne Coatings. I have been > through their process on a tour with the Central OK Mopar Club. > > They do good work! My dad had is exhaust manifolds coated off his 66 > Coronet, they look great.

My local speed shop recommended these guys to me when i asked about a good place... they must be pretty good.

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:00:23 -0500 From: "Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian" <leefam@wcc.net> Subject: Re: DML: Jules, MPI, header deal, etc.......

At 10:36 PM 7/16/98 -0500, you wrote: >I didn't mean to senselessly throw our money away if we actually had a VALID >counter offer, but with items like "gonna throw in free shipping, but...." >and such, I had just grown tired of some of the BS. We should always be on >the lookout for a good deal, and make your own decision as to what that is, >but I would rather deal with someone willing to give me concrete answers and >details, not just "we were gonna" or some such. > >All just my opinion, so please take it as that. You know the saying: >Opinions are like assholes, we all have one and we all think everybody >else's stinks.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Disgusting, yet funny.

Brian

End of DML Digest V3 #1022 **************************