Re: Two questions: New paint and bed dimensions

From: Mike Miller (slepyhed@netway.com)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 00:39:29 EDT

----------
> From: Seth Bradley <seth.j.bradley@intel.com>
> To: 'dakota-truck@buffnet.net'
> Subject: DML: Two questions: New paint and bed dimensions
> Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 11:25 AM
>
> There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask the list. I'm picking up my
new
> R/T next month, and
> I'm wondering about waxing. I've heard from time to time that the paint
on a
> new car will continue hardening for a few months and you therefore
shouldn't
> wax the car until its at least 90 days old. Does someone know
> if this is really true?

My first job was working at an autobody shop when I was like 16. Since
then, I've painted a few cars and followed along with my dad's masterful
paint work (he's got a '70 Hemi Cuda that he's restoring to insane show
quality. It's got about another year to go still.) To answer your question,
YES, wait on the wax job. 60 days will probably be fine for a clearcoat
enamel job like you'll get. Also, make sure that your dealer doesn't wax
it. Standard procedure for a dealer is to wax it. The other good reason to
not let your dealer wax the truck is that they will inevitably get wax on
the plastic parts, the badges and on the stickers. Frankly, the dealers
suck when it comes to waxing cars.

I don't know about your other questions.

> Thanks!
>
> Seth Bradley

-Mike Miller, 1998 R/T