Re: Ram Air Box

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 16:54:30 EDT

dml/jack,
Im not sure what the ram air box looks like, but I do like the fit of the
stock set up. to that end, my fluids buddy and I did some lookin under the
hood of the 98 R/T lastnight to see what we could do to improve it. In HIS
Honorable opinion we formulated the following plan:
1. Create a new hold down for the air hat. CC must have been thinking low
rpm when they designed that horrendous *&*^ that blocks 20% of the venturi.
The S bolt is a great idea (Sean and all are right on the money)!
2. Make a new air horn for the stock box that exits behind the grill through
the rubber panel. Use generous radiusing on the inlet and make the bell as
big as possible. Save the old tube for locust plagues and heavy rain.
3. Find a smooth bore tube for the box to hat connection. High temp
silicone would be great due to flexibility, although it may need a braid for
strength.
4. Replace the hat supports with bicycle spokes to reduce flow perturbation.
5. Trim/port match the TB to manifold gasket to eliminate the 1/16 ledge
that the poor factory fit makes.

HPM (high performance mopar) ran the R/T with and without the air cleaner
(sept 98) and didnt get a change in ET. This seems to say to me HOT AIR/TB
restrictions. Im going after those first in "The Quest". My bud said hed
rig my air box assy with pressure transducers to find the delta P profile
(buisiness expense...) but he thinks his eyeball is almost as good. He
didnt mind the airbox config but thought the air cleaner element could use
some mods too! Hes kinda busy so Im going after the above list first and
we'll do the measurements when hes got time (or when his boat breaks and I
need to help fix it).
One mans plan,
Bruce K Bridges