Imports WAS Re: Farewell to a loyal friend

From: John Bell (johnb@pswtech.com)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 11:13:17 EDT

Bruce Bridges wrote:

> Jack,
> Well put, I couldnt think of anything that would add to the story, but you
> hit it. I hope I never see or get the call re: wife in an accident. It
> keeps me up at nights thinking about it. Giving it up so you can keep going
> on is an important feature of any car. One reason not to drive measly
> imports, they dont have much to give up...

I dunno... I trust the wife to be OK when she's in the '95 VW Golf. If
you've
ever had one, you'll understand what I mean when I say that they are
_built_.
The whole car feels like it was carved out of steel block. It's already
taken on the back end of a '60-something Chebby pickup and walked away
with only a grand in damage; still drives like it was new. The only
problem with it is that I have to fold myself in half to sit in the
passenger side (that, or rip the front seat out and sit in the back).
The driver side, however, is adjustable and leaves me with plenty
of head/leg room (even with the sunroof). I like more room, though,
hence the Mighty Dak :-). My Dak feels like it has that "built" aura
about it as well; washboard roads couldn't shake a squeek or rattle
out of it if they tried all day...

The other thing... that VW eats bad weather for breakfast and
craps sunshine. I used to have a 100+ mile round-trip commute when
working in SW Indiana. Many a snowy/icy day I would be buzzing along
happily to work, passing 4x4 trucks and SUVs that were grazing in
the ditch. It was to laugh :-).

Anyway, this isn't the "VW Lovefest" mailing list, but just thought
I should mention that not all imports are tin cans. My next grocery/baby
hauler will definitely be a VW of some flavor. You'll never see me
in anything but the Dak, though 8-).

Have fun,

--
jbii ('97 Dak SLT CC, 239ci V6, 5spd, 3.55 LSD, driftwood/charcoal grey)