Hi-Po Cams,and parts Limitations

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 10:23:45 EDT

I spoke to Dave Hughes of Hughes engines yesterday about increasing the
performance of my Dak(my goal is mid to low 13s). He says he has been doing quite
a bit of work on the late model magnums and he has several customers that race
them competitively. He told me they have two levels of porting for the magnum
heads and some juicy cam profiles to really wake them up. His cams are not
emissions approved, but he said several customers have passed sniffer tests with
no problems. The one he was recommending was a dual pattern .512 .536 lift
206/212@50 duration(with 1.6 rockers). They also do the necessary intake mods and
throttle body work as well. He said getting my truck in the 12s is no big
deal(provided the traction is there) , but I'll start breaking parts(namely the
transmission and rear end). This is what I was afraid of. I know I can replace the
8 1/4 with a 9 1/4 , but I don't know what to do about the NV3500. He told me to
get in touch with some Dak racers who are having their NV3500s modified. Perhaps
I'll just do the headers, throttle body, milder cam and stage one porting and se
how the green monster does. What do ya'll think??.

Andre Mauboussin
95 Dak 14.7@94.5mph