oil color

From: Gary Ludwick (gludwick@csi.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 00:16:24 EDT

>>> BTW, once had an automotive engineer tell me that the oil filter is the
most
> unnecessary part on a modern combustion engine....that most engines would
> run as well and last as long without one. Not an engineer myself, but I
> respect that person's knowledge.
>If the manufacturers thought they could do without an oil filter,
they would eliminate the passageway to the filter, the bypass, etc,
and save mucho dinero on each vehicle. Obviously they don't think it
is unnecessary<<

Cars never came with oil filters until the late 50's! So they did OK for
about 50 years without one. So do most riding lawn mowers. Now I'm not
comparing lawn mowers to a V8, but the principle is the same. And your
argument about cost is like saying that TV makers could save a lot of money
by leaving off the remote control and associated circuitry. If the
marketplace DEMANDS something, you deliver it...whether it's necessary or
not.
So imagine it's 1958 and Cadillac puts on an oil filter as standard, and
begins touting how much better their engine is, and how lame any engine is
without one. Do you think, just maybe, that by 1959 EVERY manufacturer
would be putting on oil filters as standard....even if they knew they were
unnecessary?!
Again, I'm not saying this is the case...but I can sure imagine it happening
that way.