Re: RE: oil color

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 03:46:01 EDT

Here's my .02 worth
The only way to tell if your oil is doing the job it was designed to do
is by doing an oil analysis. Since most of us are using K&N filters this
is very helpful in telling use if our induction system is working
properly as well. An oil analysis will tell you in PPM all of the wear
metals such as ( iron, chromium, lead, copper, tin, aluminum, nickel,
manganese, titanium, vanadium and silver ). and also the oil additives
(magnesium, calcium, barium, phosphorus, zinc, and moly ) And also the
contaminants in the oil ( silicon, boron, sodium, potassium ).
The oil viscosity is also checked along with fuel dilution and water
content.
By doing an analysis each time you change the oil you can tell if
anything funny is going on. If all of a sudden the silicon levels go sky
high you just about guess that you have an induction leak somewhere,
also your wear metals will also go up when this happens. There is a lot
more that you can tell from using oil analysis'.
I use only MOBIL 1 engine oil as well as the gear oil and change the
engine oil every 10,000 miles ( first two or three are at 3000 miles )
and have never had an engine failure.
I also use the MOBIL 1 oil filter as well. I have done this in ever car/
truck that I have owned, My wife's car is a 1992 nissan maxima with
120,000 miles on it and it has never been opened up and has never used a
qt. of oil, also I have had two rams with 360's and both had over
150,000 mile on them and never used any oil.
The one thing that we K&N users need to do is make sure that we keep
these things oiled well. I have seen a lot of oil test results on cars
that use K&N filters and just about everyone of them had very high
silicon and iron levels. High levels of these will kill your engine.
FWIW
Colin H.