Re: Dakota sound systems! A waste???

From: roger a. Sampson (rsampson@ddc.net)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 23:48:47 EDT

Douglas Bowerman wrote:

> Hey all,
> You know, I would like to put my voice in on this. I am not that old
> you see. I have only been into the audio scene for about 6-7 years. I
> have had about 4 years of subscriptions to audio magazines, including
> months of paying news stand prices. I have spent hours upon hours
> dreaming up my systems. I was gearing myself up for what???
> I had a 3K system. It's peanuts. Peanuts!!! (It isn't uncommon to
> drop 10K and still put in more the next month. I was gonna do it.)
> Then some punks took my system. I lost a lot of money. Stereo systems
> are show and tell.
> Then I bought my Dak. :) I want to urge, and do it strongly, to all of
> you, do not waste time and money on this silly thing called audio.
> Spank people. Spank 'em hard. But don't spank 'em with audio.
> Let me say how much I worried about my system. I spent hours upon
> hours, during the years I had a system, worrying about choads stealing
> it. I spent all the time removing my face. I spent time making it
> stealth. I spent time and money getting new gear. I spent even more
> time installing, and dreaming up better installs. What a waste!
> It is all gone!!! I now have no worries about people stealing my stock
> system. What a heavy weight lifted.
> Y'all can take this story how you want. The point I want to make is put
> the money into other things. Mod your vehicle. Spank the comp. Take
> your woman/man out on the town. Put you money into a big screen TV.
> Buy some drapes for the kitchen window. (I know y'all never thought of
> that one!) Buy a new computer. After some time passes you'll realize
> how much time you spent on that silly thing called audio, and how much
> show and tell you really did.
>
> Doug

Doug,
Well said. Sounds like you are wise beyond your years! I am at the other
end of the age spectrum, own a Dakota, consider myself an audiophile,
and I am also a long term member of the Audio Engineering Society.

A truck cab is not the right environment for serious listening, and if
you are doing serious listening, who is driving the vehicle? A moderate
system makes sense to me, and there are many good ones to choose from.