Re: was Help on Muffler Choice

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 26 1998 - 00:50:25 EDT

At 10:50 PM 7/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>>It all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for, because I doubt
>>>you'll get any noticable performance gain from just a muffler swap.
>>>

>> I'm not sure... Gibson claims about 30hp for their 3" cat-back. Based
>>on the increase in my 1/4 mile times, I'd have to say that sounds
>>about right. (Unless of course you mean just swapping out the muffler
>>without touching the pipe. The Gibson comes with 3" replacement pipe
>>from the muffler back.)
>>
>> -Jon-
>>

>Jon,
>
>How much was the Gibson worth in the quarter?

  Its hard to say exactly due to weather differences (I wasn't correcting
my times to standard then) but before the Gibson I was usually running at
about 15.5 or 15.6, then after I ran at about 15.2 or 15.3. A couple of
tenths for sure, maybe a few tenths. Of course, the gains will be
dependent on other mods too; at the time, I had the MP PCM, FABM,
and a 180 degree t-stat. Once I get the JBA headers installed, I
expect the Gibson will help to augment them too. (I'll probably get
more horsepower out of the headers than I would if I still had the
restrictive stock exhaust.)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |